Skip to main content

Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cupcakes

We had a big box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch that I wanted to use for a Rice Krispies treats type of dessert but hadn't gotten to it yet.
The only acceptable way to eat cereal in my opinion is straight out of the box. But the others in my house like milk and cereal so I wanted to develop a cupcake with a frosting tasted like the milk, and cake that tasted like the cereal with bits of the cereal on top.
I got good feedback while testing this recipe. It's overall not crazy sweet so it could be considered an acceptable breakfast. The cake itself is very dense but the frosting is very light and buttery. 


Makes 16
Cake:
2 c. All-purpose Flour
1/3 c. Granulated Sugar
1/2 C Brown Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
2 tsp. ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Salt
3/4 c. (1 1/2 stick) softened Butter 
1 c. Milk
1 large Egg
2 tsp. Vanilla extract

Frosting:
1/2 C Nonfat Milk powder
1 1/2 sticks of Butter, softened
1 C Powdered Sugar
1/4 tsp Vanilla extract (don't over measure or it will taste more like vanilla frosting than milk)
1-2 tbs of Milk to thin frosting

Cinnamon toast crunch for topping


Preheat oven to 350°. Line 16 muffin tins with paper liners.
In a large bowl mixed together butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla, and eggs. In a separate bowl mixed together flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder.
Add milk and flour mixture into butter mixture a third of a time alternating milk and flour and until combined. 
Spoon batter evenly into paper lined muffin tin cups.
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.

In a large bowl mix together butter, nonfat milk powder, and vanilla. Add in powdered sugar. Thin with milk as needed. We aren't looking for a pipeable consistency so it doesn't need to be stiff.
Spread a layer of frosting on the cupcakes and dip in cereal just before serving (up to 4 hours before) so cereal doesn't loose it's crunch. 
Refrigerate for maximum freshness. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiderman Burger Buns

My kids want to try the Spider-Man Whopper from Burger King but our Burger King was always sold out of buns so we decided to make our own. We actually like ours a little better. Give him a try and let us know what you think. Ingredients: 1 C Water 1 Tbs Yeast  1/4 C Sugar 3 1/2 C Flour 1 1/4 tsp Salt 1/4 C Beet Powder 1 Egg 2 Tbs melted butter 1/2 tsp of Activated Charcoal mixed with a few drops of water for painting buns. In a large bowl or a bowl of a stand mixer combine 1 cup of water and a tablespoon of yeast. Let sit while you gather the rest of your ingredients so the yeast can get activated. Add a quarter cup of sugar to the yeast mixture. Then add in flour, salt, and beet powder. Start to mix those together then add one egg and two tablespoons of melted butter. Mix until thoroughly combined and the dough forms a ball that is tacky. Cover dough and let rest an hour to an hour and a half until doubled in size. When the dough has doubled in size remove from bowl an...

Stevia Sweetened Pumpkin Bread

This was by far and away most popular post on my Blog Healthy Gourmet on the GO. I was thrilled to get nearly 3,000 views on this post, which is nothing compared to other bloggers but I was proud of the accomplishment. The other day I received a call from a customer asking how she should bake a pumpkin bread with stevia. I was embarrassed that I could not give her a good answer. After a few failed attempts to make a sugar free black bean brownie I had given up on baking with stevia. After a little digging online I found a good looking conversion method for stevia which I shared with her. She was afraid to make something that wouldn’t turn out so she scrapped the idea. In my typical fashion I announced to my husband the next morning (he was barely awake) that after laying awake I had decided “ Today I will make a stevia sweetened pumpkin bread!” Those of you familiar with stevia know it can have an after taste. This bread does seem to lose it a bit overnight, so it is better the next ...

Sourdough Discard Chocolate Cake

I've made sourdough bread for years but recently started branching out and trying different things with my discard. I had made apple cheddar muffins with sourdough discard probably about 15 years ago, sourdough waffles like the ones I had tried in Las Vegas, but never really added it to anything else outside of bread products.  I tried Chocolate Chip Cookies a while back with good results so it seemed natural to try a chocolate cake recipe. I tend to make my baked goods less sweet so I adapted a recipe I found to suit our tastes and topped it with a lightly sweetened peanut butter drizzle. This cake was moist and perfectly sweet. Ingredients: 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour 3/4 cup cocoa powder 1/2 tsp salt 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking soda 2 eggs 1 tsp vanilla extract 3/4 cup oil 1/2 cup sourdough discard 1/2 cup granulated sugar 3/4 cup brown sugar 1 cup milk of choice 1/2 cup hot, fresh and strong brewed coffee Preheat oven to 350° and grease a bundt pan, set aside. In a large ...