Skip to main content

Low Carb Lemon Ricotta Muffins


I have been trying to stay away from sugar lately to control my migraines (no fun when you bake to relieve stress but can't eat it!) So I thought I would try to come up with a lemon muffin that not only was low carb but had a bit of protein in it too. These were a hit in our house, River has been calling them cake, and seem to help quell that sweet craving that hits mid afternoon. 

I have baked with almond flour a few times and know it can be tricky due to his fat content. It doesn't absorb moisture like other baking flours-wheat, rice, bean, tapioca ect. The batter for these muffins is very thick because we don't want extra liquid that will turn them soupy or custard-y.

Nutrition facts from My Fitness Pal calculation using the specific ingredients I used. 

135 Calories 10g Fat 5g Protein 11g Carbs10g Fiber 1g Sugar

 This post may contain affiliate links. See full disclosure statement here.

Makes 12 muffins

Ingredients: 

3 Eggs

1/2 C Erythritol or no calorie sweetener equal to 1/2 C

1/2 C Ricotta Cheese

Zest of one Lemon

2 1/2 C Almond Flour (Get the one I used Nature's Eats Blanched Almond Flour, 32 Ounce )

2 tsp Baking Powder

1/2 tsp Salt

Preheat oven to 350. Line a muffin tin with liners or spray with nonstick spray. 

In a large bowl mix together eggs, sweetener, ricotta, and lemon zest. When combined add in almond flour, baking powder, and salt. Mixture will be very thick. Scoop batter evenly into muffin tins. 

Bake for about 20 minutes, checking to make sure they do not overcook. They are done when the tops are just starting to brown and nothing sticks to a toothpick inserted into the center. 

Cool completely before serving.

**If you want a little extra zing, you can make a drizzle with a few Tbs lemon juice and 1/4 C Sweetener you have run through the blender to powder it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiderman Burger Buns

My kids want to try the Spider-Man Whopper from Burger King but our Burger King was always sold out of buns so we decided to make our own. We actually like ours a little better. Give him a try and let us know what you think. Ingredients: 1 C Water 1 Tbs Yeast  1/4 C Sugar 3 1/2 C Flour 1 1/4 tsp Salt 1/4 C Beet Powder 1 Egg 2 Tbs melted butter 1/2 tsp of Activated Charcoal mixed with a few drops of water for painting buns. In a large bowl or a bowl of a stand mixer combine 1 cup of water and a tablespoon of yeast. Let sit while you gather the rest of your ingredients so the yeast can get activated. Add a quarter cup of sugar to the yeast mixture. Then add in flour, salt, and beet powder. Start to mix those together then add one egg and two tablespoons of melted butter. Mix until thoroughly combined and the dough forms a ball that is tacky. Cover dough and let rest an hour to an hour and a half until doubled in size. When the dough has doubled in size remove from bowl an...

Stevia Sweetened Pumpkin Bread

This was by far and away most popular post on my Blog Healthy Gourmet on the GO. I was thrilled to get nearly 3,000 views on this post, which is nothing compared to other bloggers but I was proud of the accomplishment. The other day I received a call from a customer asking how she should bake a pumpkin bread with stevia. I was embarrassed that I could not give her a good answer. After a few failed attempts to make a sugar free black bean brownie I had given up on baking with stevia. After a little digging online I found a good looking conversion method for stevia which I shared with her. She was afraid to make something that wouldn’t turn out so she scrapped the idea. In my typical fashion I announced to my husband the next morning (he was barely awake) that after laying awake I had decided “ Today I will make a stevia sweetened pumpkin bread!” Those of you familiar with stevia know it can have an after taste. This bread does seem to lose it a bit overnight, so it is better the next ...

Sourdough Discard Chocolate Cake

I've made sourdough bread for years but recently started branching out and trying different things with my discard. I had made apple cheddar muffins with sourdough discard probably about 15 years ago, sourdough waffles like the ones I had tried in Las Vegas, but never really added it to anything else outside of bread products.  I tried Chocolate Chip Cookies a while back with good results so it seemed natural to try a chocolate cake recipe. I tend to make my baked goods less sweet so I adapted a recipe I found to suit our tastes and topped it with a lightly sweetened peanut butter drizzle. This cake was moist and perfectly sweet. Ingredients: 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour 3/4 cup cocoa powder 1/2 tsp salt 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking soda 2 eggs 1 tsp vanilla extract 3/4 cup oil 1/2 cup sourdough discard 1/2 cup granulated sugar 3/4 cup brown sugar 1 cup milk of choice 1/2 cup hot, fresh and strong brewed coffee Preheat oven to 350° and grease a bundt pan, set aside. In a large ...