Skip to main content

Salted Maple Cashew Crispy Treats

Who doesn't love rice crispy treats. Back in the day I used to walk to the gas station by my office and buy them at least once a week. It shames me to think I bought "food" at the gas station. Since turning my life in a healthier direction one thing I've shunned is marshmallows (and gas station food) because of the ingredients and unfortunately that included my beloved rice crispy treats. I had forgotten about my obsession until recently when I came across a recipe for a healthier version, so I tried it and it was sooo sweet. I felt there had to be a better way and I wanted to put a bit of a gourmet twist on it.

Ingredients:
3 C Crispy Brown Rice Cereal
1/2 C Cashew Butter, unsweetened/ unsalted
1/2 C Maple Syrup
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
Oil or Butter for Pan

In a Large bowl, measure 3 cups of Crispy Brown Rice Cereal.

Grease 8x8 pan, set aside. In a small saucepan combine cashew butter, maple syrup and sea salt. 
Cook over medium low heat until combined and slightly thick.
Pour into Crispy Brown Rice Cereal. Stir until cereal is completely coated and clumps together.
Pour cereal into pan and gently press into pan with a spatula.
Chill in fridge for 30 minutes then cut into squares.
(Originally Published on Healthy Gourmet on the GO Blog)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiderman Burger Buns

My kids want to try the Spider-Man Whopper from Burger King but our Burger King was always sold out of buns so we decided to make our own. We actually like ours a little better. Give him a try and let us know what you think. Ingredients: 1 C Water 1 Tbs Yeast  1/4 C Sugar 3 1/2 C Flour 1 1/4 tsp Salt 1/4 C Beet Powder 1 Egg 2 Tbs melted butter 1/2 tsp of Activated Charcoal mixed with a few drops of water for painting buns. In a large bowl or a bowl of a stand mixer combine 1 cup of water and a tablespoon of yeast. Let sit while you gather the rest of your ingredients so the yeast can get activated. Add a quarter cup of sugar to the yeast mixture. Then add in flour, salt, and beet powder. Start to mix those together then add one egg and two tablespoons of melted butter. Mix until thoroughly combined and the dough forms a ball that is tacky. Cover dough and let rest an hour to an hour and a half until doubled in size. When the dough has doubled in size remove from bowl an...

Stevia Sweetened Pumpkin Bread

This was by far and away most popular post on my Blog Healthy Gourmet on the GO. I was thrilled to get nearly 3,000 views on this post, which is nothing compared to other bloggers but I was proud of the accomplishment. The other day I received a call from a customer asking how she should bake a pumpkin bread with stevia. I was embarrassed that I could not give her a good answer. After a few failed attempts to make a sugar free black bean brownie I had given up on baking with stevia. After a little digging online I found a good looking conversion method for stevia which I shared with her. She was afraid to make something that wouldn’t turn out so she scrapped the idea. In my typical fashion I announced to my husband the next morning (he was barely awake) that after laying awake I had decided “ Today I will make a stevia sweetened pumpkin bread!” Those of you familiar with stevia know it can have an after taste. This bread does seem to lose it a bit overnight, so it is better the next ...

Sourdough Discard Chocolate Cake

I've made sourdough bread for years but recently started branching out and trying different things with my discard. I had made apple cheddar muffins with sourdough discard probably about 15 years ago, sourdough waffles like the ones I had tried in Las Vegas, but never really added it to anything else outside of bread products.  I tried Chocolate Chip Cookies a while back with good results so it seemed natural to try a chocolate cake recipe. I tend to make my baked goods less sweet so I adapted a recipe I found to suit our tastes and topped it with a lightly sweetened peanut butter drizzle. This cake was moist and perfectly sweet. Ingredients: 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour 3/4 cup cocoa powder 1/2 tsp salt 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking soda 2 eggs 1 tsp vanilla extract 3/4 cup oil 1/2 cup sourdough discard 1/2 cup granulated sugar 3/4 cup brown sugar 1 cup milk of choice 1/2 cup hot, fresh and strong brewed coffee Preheat oven to 350° and grease a bundt pan, set aside. In a large ...