Skip to main content

Wheat and Honey Sandwich Bread

I have always enjoyed baking bread. There is something so satisfying about taking a few humble ingredients and making something extraordinary.  Its also where I find my zen, bread can't be rushed. This bread is easy to make and requires little hands on time but it can't be rushed. You have to give it the time it needs to rise whether it takes an hour or two is up to the dough on that particular day. The temperature of your home, the freshness of the yeast...
Find some time to take things slow and bake yourself a delicious loaf, or two, of bread.
Watch us make this recipe here!



Wheat and Honey Sandwich Bread
Makes two loaves
1 C warm water
1 C milk
2 C whole wheat flour
1/3 c butter
1/3 c honey
1 tbs yeast
1 tsp salt
3 C white flour, plus more if needed

In a large mixing bowl place warm water and yeast to proof. In a small saucepan melt butter over medium low heat, add milk until just warm but not hot (you don't want to kill your yeast). 

Add honey, butter and milk mixture and whole wheat flour flour to bowl, stir to combine. Then add white flour in a cup at a time. Lately I've needed 3 1/2 cups but sometimes it's 3 cups depending on how fresh your flour is or the humidity.

When the dough is sticky and starts to pull away from the bowl I knead it for about 5-7 minutes. I like to do this in my kitchen aid mixer with the dough hook. 

Let the dough rise in a well oiled bowl covered with a cloth for about an hour or until doubled. 

Divide dough in half and shape into loaves, place into two oiled loaf pans. Let rise an hour or an hour and a half. You'll know its ready for the oven when the  dough starts to peek over the the top of the pan.  Preheat oven to 350 and bake for 30-35 minutes. 

Alternately you can divide the dough and bake into rolls or buns. For rolls reduce bake time to 18-20 minutes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiderman Burger Buns

My kids want to try the Spider-Man Whopper from Burger King but our Burger King was always sold out of buns so we decided to make our own. We actually like ours a little better. Give him a try and let us know what you think. Ingredients: 1 C Water 1 Tbs Yeast  1/4 C Sugar 3 1/2 C Flour 1 1/4 tsp Salt 1/4 C Beet Powder 1 Egg 2 Tbs melted butter 1/2 tsp of Activated Charcoal mixed with a few drops of water for painting buns. In a large bowl or a bowl of a stand mixer combine 1 cup of water and a tablespoon of yeast. Let sit while you gather the rest of your ingredients so the yeast can get activated. Add a quarter cup of sugar to the yeast mixture. Then add in flour, salt, and beet powder. Start to mix those together then add one egg and two tablespoons of melted butter. Mix until thoroughly combined and the dough forms a ball that is tacky. Cover dough and let rest an hour to an hour and a half until doubled in size. When the dough has doubled in size remove from bowl an...

Stevia Sweetened Pumpkin Bread

This was by far and away most popular post on my Blog Healthy Gourmet on the GO. I was thrilled to get nearly 3,000 views on this post, which is nothing compared to other bloggers but I was proud of the accomplishment. The other day I received a call from a customer asking how she should bake a pumpkin bread with stevia. I was embarrassed that I could not give her a good answer. After a few failed attempts to make a sugar free black bean brownie I had given up on baking with stevia. After a little digging online I found a good looking conversion method for stevia which I shared with her. She was afraid to make something that wouldn’t turn out so she scrapped the idea. In my typical fashion I announced to my husband the next morning (he was barely awake) that after laying awake I had decided “ Today I will make a stevia sweetened pumpkin bread!” Those of you familiar with stevia know it can have an after taste. This bread does seem to lose it a bit overnight, so it is better the next ...

Sourdough Discard Chocolate Cake

I've made sourdough bread for years but recently started branching out and trying different things with my discard. I had made apple cheddar muffins with sourdough discard probably about 15 years ago, sourdough waffles like the ones I had tried in Las Vegas, but never really added it to anything else outside of bread products.  I tried Chocolate Chip Cookies a while back with good results so it seemed natural to try a chocolate cake recipe. I tend to make my baked goods less sweet so I adapted a recipe I found to suit our tastes and topped it with a lightly sweetened peanut butter drizzle. This cake was moist and perfectly sweet. Ingredients: 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour 3/4 cup cocoa powder 1/2 tsp salt 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking soda 2 eggs 1 tsp vanilla extract 3/4 cup oil 1/2 cup sourdough discard 1/2 cup granulated sugar 3/4 cup brown sugar 1 cup milk of choice 1/2 cup hot, fresh and strong brewed coffee Preheat oven to 350° and grease a bundt pan, set aside. In a large ...