Skip to main content

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles

Pumpkin and Snickerdoodles, a match made in heaven. I've seen different versions of this cookie on various blogs, but the reviews were mixed. Some said they were too dry, others said not enough spice. I thought they didn't use enough pumpkin! So here is my soft, pillowy, spicy version of pumpkin Snickerdoodles.



Makes 3 1/2 dozen
1 C. Butter-unsalted and softened
1 C Sugar
1/2 C Brown Sugar 
1 C Pumpkin Puree
1 Egg
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 3/4 C Flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon 
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
**I've made it with 1 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice instead of cinnamon and nutmeg***
For the coating:
1/4 C Sugar
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
Dash Cloves
**I've made this with 3/4-1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice instead of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves***

In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. 
In a large bowl beat together butter and sugars, then add pumpkin and vanilla finally add egg. Mix flour mixture into wet ingredients. 
*Side note, I did this all by hand and it turned out great. I think people have a tendency to over mix cookie dough and the cookies turn out tough.*  
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
In a small bowl combine remaining 1/4 C sugar and spices. Set aside. Either using a cookie scoop or teaspoons portion out equal size balls of dough, rolling into a smooth ball and coating in spiced sugar mixture. 
Place sugared balls of dough on baking sheet (don't worry about spacing, they are going into the fridge to chill out). When all dough has been used place cookie sheet in fridge for about an hour. Alternately, you can put the tray of dough into the freezer until dough becomes hard, then place cookie dough in a freezer bag to use at a later date or just bake a few at a time for portion control. I usually start putting cookie dough in the freezer a few months before Christmas to take some of the stress out of holiday baking. All I have to do is bake the dough!

Preheat oven to 350. Place 12 balls of dough onto parchment or silpat lined baking sheet 
and flatten slightly with the palm of your hand. Bake 12-15 minutes
(Originally Published on Healthy Gourmet on the Go Blog)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiderman Burger Buns

My kids want to try the Spider-Man Whopper from Burger King but our Burger King was always sold out of buns so we decided to make our own. We actually like ours a little better. Give him a try and let us know what you think. Ingredients: 1 C Water 1 Tbs Yeast  1/4 C Sugar 3 1/2 C Flour 1 1/4 tsp Salt 1/4 C Beet Powder 1 Egg 2 Tbs melted butter 1/2 tsp of Activated Charcoal mixed with a few drops of water for painting buns. In a large bowl or a bowl of a stand mixer combine 1 cup of water and a tablespoon of yeast. Let sit while you gather the rest of your ingredients so the yeast can get activated. Add a quarter cup of sugar to the yeast mixture. Then add in flour, salt, and beet powder. Start to mix those together then add one egg and two tablespoons of melted butter. Mix until thoroughly combined and the dough forms a ball that is tacky. Cover dough and let rest an hour to an hour and a half until doubled in size. When the dough has doubled in size remove from bowl an...

Stevia Sweetened Pumpkin Bread

This was by far and away most popular post on my Blog Healthy Gourmet on the GO. I was thrilled to get nearly 3,000 views on this post, which is nothing compared to other bloggers but I was proud of the accomplishment. The other day I received a call from a customer asking how she should bake a pumpkin bread with stevia. I was embarrassed that I could not give her a good answer. After a few failed attempts to make a sugar free black bean brownie I had given up on baking with stevia. After a little digging online I found a good looking conversion method for stevia which I shared with her. She was afraid to make something that wouldn’t turn out so she scrapped the idea. In my typical fashion I announced to my husband the next morning (he was barely awake) that after laying awake I had decided “ Today I will make a stevia sweetened pumpkin bread!” Those of you familiar with stevia know it can have an after taste. This bread does seem to lose it a bit overnight, so it is better the next ...

Sourdough Discard Chocolate Cake

I've made sourdough bread for years but recently started branching out and trying different things with my discard. I had made apple cheddar muffins with sourdough discard probably about 15 years ago, sourdough waffles like the ones I had tried in Las Vegas, but never really added it to anything else outside of bread products.  I tried Chocolate Chip Cookies a while back with good results so it seemed natural to try a chocolate cake recipe. I tend to make my baked goods less sweet so I adapted a recipe I found to suit our tastes and topped it with a lightly sweetened peanut butter drizzle. This cake was moist and perfectly sweet. Ingredients: 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour 3/4 cup cocoa powder 1/2 tsp salt 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking soda 2 eggs 1 tsp vanilla extract 3/4 cup oil 1/2 cup sourdough discard 1/2 cup granulated sugar 3/4 cup brown sugar 1 cup milk of choice 1/2 cup hot, fresh and strong brewed coffee Preheat oven to 350° and grease a bundt pan, set aside. In a large ...